Jenna Petersen, Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor
November 12, 2020
Pseudo-dieting means following food rules that are not a formal diet. You might have picked up on these rules through dieting, media, or following the example of someone else. Pseudo-dieting can take on a variety of forms. Be on the lookout for behaviors like these:
- Your brain automatically counts food values in your head (ie. carbs, calories)
- You eat only “safe” foods, or foods that are allowed
- You do something to compensate for eating “bad” foods
- Eating at certain times of the day only
- Putting on a “false food face” in public
- Competing with another person who is dieting
- Second-guessing your food choices
- Eating what you think you deserve to eat based on what you ate earlier that day
- Harshly judging what you eat
Pseudo-dieting is a form of dieting that can take time to adjust, just like any dieting. If you’re tired of that incessant calorie counter in your head, now is a great time to start taking steps to Reject the Diet Mentality (Intuitive Eating Principle 1).
You might be wondering why choosing to stop dieting or pseudo-dieting is so important. After all, “”Reject the Diet Mentality” may seem a little harsh. Here’s the reality: all of these little food rules add to your stress level instead of your holistic wellness. Not only that, but dieting can cause greater, longer-lasting damage. It can slow down your metabolism, making it harder for you to maintain a healthy weight. Dieting can cause an increase in binge eating, preoccupation with food, heightens the risk for cardiovascular disease, and can increase the risk for complications during pregnancy. It also makes your mental health go downhill, causing an increase in feelings of deprivation, guilt, and shame.
Stop the cycle now by choosing to Reject the Diet Mentality, and step into a new way of thinking, living, eating, and moving.
Gosh, this is going to be hard. How can I Reject the Diet Mentality, when it is so deeply ingrained in me? Sign up for a free discovery call to learn more about what I provide!