Jenna Petersen, Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor
April 9, 2021
Exercise, movement, physical activity, working out…. these are all different words to describe a form of moving your body.
I am presenting 10 ways that will challenge you to consider Mindful Movement for your daily routine, instead of the rigidity of “exercise” or “working out”.
When you’re choosing Mindful Movement, this means…
- You don’t need any special outfit
- You can move anywhere, not just a gym
- You tune into how your body FEELS
- You take breaks as needed
- You ensure that your body is adequately hydrated and nourished
- You don’t feel sore afterwards (or if you do, you take it easy over the next few days)
- You slow down and take in your surroundings
- You pay attention to your breath
- You choose to move throughout the day (example: walk for 10 minutes, 3x per day)
- You take a stretch break when you like
I consider this list of 10 a challenge because they are not the way that our society conditions us to move.
Mindful movement means you might not break a sweat. It means you are finding JOY in your physical activity experience.
Mindful movement means you might feel sore the next day, but if so, you don’t have to continue in that direction. Instead, you can adjust your pace, frequency, or duration of physical activity to accommodate you body’s needs. Your body has wisdom, and you can trust that internal wisdom when you discover it!
Gentle movement is more about helping your body feel great, not change your body composition, shape, or size. Principle 9 of Intuitive Eating is “Movement–Feel the Difference”.
To quote the original Intuitive Eating pros, this means:
Forget militant exercise. Just get active and feel the difference. Shift your focus to how it feels to move your body, rather than the calorie-burning effect of exercise. If you focus on how you feel from working out, such as energized, it can make the difference between rolling out of bed for a brisk morning walk or hitting the snooze alarm.-Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch at intuitiveeating.org
What do you need to do next to help you move mindfully? The spring weather is here, beckoning for you to take a few moments to move throughout the day!